Field Salad with Strawberries, Kumquats and Rose Petals
• Fiber Rich • Low Sodium
Crystallized Rose Petals:
24 unbruised, pesticide-free rose petals
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
3 tablespoons water
Granulated or superfine sugar
Rose-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Poppy Seed
1 tablespoon rose water
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Mustard, Ground
1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 packages (3.5 ounces each) mâche or 1 package (6 ounces) spring mix salad greens
2 cups halved or quartered strawberries
1 cup sliced fresh kumquats or 1 jar (9.5 ounces) kumquats, drained, rinsed and sliced
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1. For the Crystallized Rose Petals, rinse rose petals. Let air dry completely on paper towels. Beat confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and water in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until mixed. Beat on high speed 4 to 5 minutes or until fluffy. Using tweezers to hold rose petal, brush a thin layer of meringue mixture on both sides of each rose petal with a small, soft paintbrush. Sprinkle both sides with granulated or superfine sugar. Let stand on wire racks for 24 hours. Store crystallized petals in airtight container between layers of wax paper. (Use leftover meringue mixture to crystallize additional rose petals for later use.)
2. For the Vinaigrette, mix all ingredients in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended.
3. Divide salad ingredients evenly among 8 salad plates. Drizzle vinaigrette over each salad. Garnish with Crystallized Rose Petals.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Rose water is available in the international aisle of some supermarkets, online specialty stores, or Middle Eastern markets.
- Meringue powder is made of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and cornstarch. It is used to prepare icings and meringue for pies and other desserts. It is available in the baking aisle of supermarkets, the cake decorating section of some craft stores, or online specialty stores.